Each month thousands of contractors and consultants (suppliers) apply for work with public and private sector organisations (buyers). To win work, they must meet the buyer’s health and safety standards.
Direct Air & Pipework have passed the required competencies for CHAS accreditation (Contractors Health and Safety Assessment Scheme).
CHAS is established as the market leader for health and safety pre-qualification in the UK. It is available to suppliers (those who provide goods and services) and to organisations (buyers) looking for suitably competent suppliers.
CHAS assesses applicants on the following:
- Health and safety policy statement;
- Their organisation for health and safety;
- Their specific health and safety arrangements to a standard acceptable to our buyers and to others.
There are three stages in the assessment process from the time a supplier applies for a CHAS assessment, through to working for a buyer:
- The CHAS assessment: if a supplier passes this assessment they have shown they can adequately manage health and safety.
- The employer (buyer) checks a supplier has the ability, experience and resources to carry out the specific work they have applied to do. The buyer will look at things like method statements, specific risk assessments, references, examples of previous similar work, training and available resources.
- Monitoring the supplier when they are doing the work. Buyers will check suppliers are managing the work safely, carrying out the method statements properly, have enough resources, liaising properly, managing the site effectively and providing enough supervision.
The level of assessment at stages 2 and 3 are normally proportionate to the level of risk they carry. Buyers have a responsibility to monitor suppliers, making sure they are working safely, in order to protect staff and everyone who may be affected by the work.
CHAS 2013 Ltd is a private limited company owned by the London Borough of Merton. The CHAS Board of Directors, headed by the Director of Corporate Services, oversee the operations of CHAS managed by the CHAS Client Support Manager and the CHAS Business Development Manager. CHAS is based at the Civic Centre in Morden and can be contacted on 0208 5453838.
Contributing sources to this article: